Monday, May 6, 2013

Writing process - profile

     On Tuesday of last week, my original subject for this piece emailed to tell me that he had had an appendectomy over the weekend and so would not be able to have me interview him the next day.  My heart sank and I kind of freaked out cause I didn't think I knew of that many more interesting people.  I tried to think about what might interest me and I settled on exploring why people stayed in/came back to their home towns to live.  During one of my non-profit internships in Kalamazoo I met Melody Daacon, who was a Kalamazoo native and was now doing a bunch of non-profit work.  What had really grabbed my attention when we talked once was that she had casually mentioned, "I was married once."  Something about how she talked about it so cooly made me really interested and I was happy to get the chance to find out more.
     I got to spend a whole afternoon with Mel on Friday, going on cold calls with her and checking out her pickling premises and warehouse.  The next day I visited her at the first Farmer's market of the year, which was really cool too.  I definitely think that this will turn out better than my original idea because I was able to see her in action.  We talked so much in the car that I barely had any formal questions/need to do a formal interview with her.
     I wasn't really sure how to approach the writing portion of this piece, so I tried to structure it sort of around the afternoon I spent with her and then interjecting some deeper stories into that sort of chronology.  I'm not sure if it worked or not so I am looking forward to hearing some comments from my workshop group!  Also, I feel like there are a lot more details and things I can add to make it better, I just ran out of time a bit.  Can't wait to talk Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment