Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Personal Essay reflection

I intended to write my piece about the first time I met my best friend, but it felt a little cliche and I didn't think there was enough material there to make it worthwhile.  So I started brainstorming about little things that I thought were worth writing about, and I came up with the service trip I made to the Outback of Australia.

However, now that I have read many of your pieces I'm starting to think, wow, I am very guarded about talking about things that are actually personal.  The story I should be telling is the story of why this issue of race was important to me, starting with being in a interracial relationship for three years and then being labeled as only being attracted to black men, even when I came to college.  I understand why some people find race to be an issue (or think race is the issue) but I've never been able to get on the same page with them.  However, the way people viewed me was important and I think I can definitely work this trip in as a sort of segway to this issue.

So, basically after reading how awesome and open everyone was, I want to scrap my piece entirely and start anew.  I think this first draft was a very important learning experience though and writing style/any critiques are always helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment